Saturday, January 11, 2014

Back to Busy!

Despite my best efforts to get a post up this week, the days completely slipped away from me! Do you ever experience that, "how is it already Friday?!" phenomenon? It was great to get back into the routine of school and seeing my students this week, but I definitely felt crunched for time diving back into the spring! I have a new blogging schedule and plan in place, and I am optimistic that the coming week will be better!

ANYWAY...

Last time I shared with you my "Telephone Rhythm" game.  I played this with my kids as a rhythm review this week, and my kids loved it! They came in asking to play again. :)





If you are interested in learning more, you can check it out on my TpT store. 


Today, I am going to explain another game from my "Pick a Stick" Warm-Ups. Morse Code! Morse Code works very similarly to Telephone. Here is how you do it...

1. Group your students in groups of 4-6.  
2. Have students sit in a line. The first person is the "messenger," the last person is the "receiver"
3. The "messenger" comes up to you to receive the message. You show them a notated four-beat rhythm that they have to then convey via "morse code." To do this, they go back and tap the rhythm in the hand of the person next to them. That person then taps the rhythm in the next person's hand and so on. The last person has to write the message on a paper or white board. Each correct rhythm earns one point. 
4. At the end, the team with the most points wins! 

I'll be honest... this one is tough. Even with my 4th and 5th grades, I often use simple quarter, eighth, and sixteenth note rhythms. However, it is an awesome way to build some physical practice into your lesson for your kinesthetic learners and it is great for when you need that added challenge for your students! 

This week I dove into teaching one of my favorite rhythms, syncopa! I am going to be posting some of my games and activities soon (I promise)!
I hope you all had a wonderful first week back!

Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment