Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fun with Syncopa!

Those of you who are new teachers or have started at a new school where Kodály wasn't taught know that it can be tricky to get started with your sequence. This year, I came into a school where my kids were amazingly talented and bright, but they had very little consistency. In fact, I am the 4th music teacher that my 5th graders have had for music. SO, it was really tough to figure out where to start and how to sequence my instruction.  That being said, we are definitely a little bit "out of order" in my classroom this year.

Right now my 3rd and 4th graders are preparing to read syncopa. Syncopa is one of my absolute favorites! I love the repertoire that goes with it. Some of my (and my students') favorite's are...
  • Canoe Song (my kids love to sing this as a partner song with Land of the Silver Birch. There is an old choral arrangement of these two by Phyllis Wolfe that is great for beginning choirs. Check it out here... http://www.jwpepper.com/Blue-Waters-of-the-North/3026259.item#.UtNbQGRDt9E)
  • Black Snake
  • Alabama Gal
  • Ridin' in a Buggy
  • Shake the Papaya (also a great choral score, by Henry Leck) 
  • Bump Up Tomato
This week I will be posting some of my syncopa activities to my TpT store, starting with "Where Are You Hiding?" For those of you who don't know the song, I found it on another blog here...

To play this game, I created a set of flashcards with syncopa rhythms. One of the rhythms has a snake on the back of it. Students pair up into teams and take turns speaking a rhythm. After they say the rhythm, they get to turn over the card. The student who finds the snake wins!

I have posted my flashcard set as a freebie for one day only! You can check it out here...


Do you have any syncopa favorites? I'd love to hear what you use in your classroom! 

Have a happy week! 
Kate 

No comments:

Post a Comment