Sunday, January 26, 2014

We're heading to the Beach!

Today was a reminder that I am still new to this "blog" thing. I tried...for hours...to download the most adorable blog background and ended up with bicycles and polka dots. Although it isn't what I had intended, at least it will keep things interesting! Don't be surprised if you see a new design every day or so as I continue to explore and expand my blogging knowledge!

I spent much of the evening lesson planning and wanted to share a fun resource with you!  In 2nd grade, my students are practicing reading half notes and preparing to read re from the staff. One song that I am using for the first time this year is "Sea Shell," and I love it! In the past, I have used this song in Kindergarten for high-low; however, I found it fit really well in my 2nd grade sequence due to the half notes and very clear phrases using re. 

If you don't know the song, it goes like this...


I generally introduce it by singing for my students and showing them a conch shell I collected at the beach years ago. They love to listen to the shell to see if they can hear the ocean. We talk about the sounds of the ocean, and take a moment to create ocean sounds using classroom instruments. 

Breaking this song down, there are so many great things to work with. 
  • Contrasting the 2nd and 4th measures is great practice for hearing/reading re patterns
  • Isolating the half note rhythms (I love that there are 2! I find that half notes at the end of a song are hard for my kids to hear.) 
  • Simple rhythm makes it a great melodic and rhythmic read. 
  • The lyrics open up tons of opportunities for composition! 
I am so excited for some of the activities I have planned for this song. From a song sort to a "Beach Walk," I think my kids are going to have a great time with it this week! I have posted my resources I plan to use on my TpT store for FREE until tomorrow night! Please check them out and let me know what you think! As always, I appreciate your feedback and help sharing my resources! 


Kate 




No comments:

Post a Comment